Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I just wasn't made for these times

And neither was Mark Hollis. I get the feeling that he would have been happier writing chamber music alongside the likes of Ravel. His music is so deeply layered and bitty, classical music in a pop context. Hey, that sounds like a soundbite. Well wrap me up and make me a speechwriter.
Talk Talk were one of the few bands to get consistently better as they went on. First album. Crap. Second album. The first side was pretty good. Side two? Crap. Third Album? The Colour of Spring. The title is the most accurate description of the record. You could sit and imagine flowers opening while you listen to it. Then Spirit of Eden. Beautiful. And finally, Laughing Stock which, from time to time I just listen to non-stop. It's six stark songs remind me of so many 'nearly' moments, especially from my long lost university days.
It's strange that I should pick it up and pick it out now. At this point when music is testosterone fuelled along with the rest of our culture. When we watch the beautiful game accompanied by bluntly obvious comments, preferably aided by bottled beer and then bellow our opinions to each other either to the person next to us or down a phone line to a radio station. When phrases like "a genuine one in two man" are meant to make us think of goalscoring credentials rather than the usual national pre-occupation. When I want to adore New Order, Keith Allen and John Barnes (of course I do). When I ought to be more socialble than I am being and sharing this great event and my opinions with others (although I am still trying hard not to have to many, opinions tend to make all our lives more bitter)
Instead I find myself watching the Netherlands versus Argentina match with the sound down, listening to Laughing Stock and the riff that leaves me speechless every time, that stands to me as a work of art comparable with anything modern music has created. And it adds to the football, it soothes me although removing the irritation of the worst of ITV commentators (Drury and Pleat!!!!!!) helps no end. Watching World Cup games on my own, listening to Laughing Stock is the modern eqivalent of being Jacob Barnes.
But, and quite possible for the remainder of the World Cup, Talk Talk's Laughing Stock is the best album ever but the best song either is, without doubt, New Grass.

No comments: