Sunday, April 16, 2006

It's not the size of the dog in the fight (part one)

They are only songs. The only meaning they have is the meaning you give to them. They mean what you want them to mean, if you want a song to remind you of meeting your partner and that's fine. If you want it to give you hope then it can do that.
I like songs, I like music. I try not to think about the words and attach meaning to them. But today one song has primarily swum around my head. It's not a great song. I'm not even certain that it's a good song. But what with everything that's going on and my two day old nephew still in intensive care in Belfast, REM - I'll Take The Rain is the best song ever, if only for its sentiment that if the this is the best it will get then I'll take that. You know, if two days, three days, a week is what we get then so be it. If we get a member of our family who lives but is weak or ill or disabled then so be it, we'll take that.
I wont quote lyrics often on this site. It gives me comfort to do so now.
I used to think/As birds take wing/They sing through life so why can't we?/You cling to this/You claim the best/If this is what you're offering/I'll take the rain.

No comments: