Monday, April 17, 2006

Look at me ma, I'm on top of the world.

And sometimes it's the feel of the song that is all so important. Case in point: currently the best song in the world ever (for the next fifteen minutes) is Bread and Circuses by Billy Bragg and Natalie Merchant. It has nothing to do with the lyrics which look unintelligable (which is not exactly a surprise for anything that our Nat had a hand in) but it has a lot to do with the warmth of her voice which fits around me like the warmest coat. And Billy Bragg's has become familiar to me, an old friend you like despite, because of, its quirks. Put the two of them together and you get one of my favourite b-sides. I haven't listened to it in months and my copy of it is about 12 miles away but right now my head says it's the greatest song ever, therefore it is. Fact.

No comments: