Thursday, April 13, 2006

Music to watch Pol Pot by

I love Americans. All of them. Especially those who think that everyone on the left of what is laughingly called a political spectrum will ensure that Mao and Lenin will come storming back from the dead to implement a fifty year plan that involves chains, whips and factories churning out pollution and really stale bread.
So, when I had a look at Amazon.com (not .co.uk) out of simply minded (bored) interest to see how they review London 0 Hull 4 by the Housemartins (see below, below, below I think, maybe too many belows) I was shocked and stunned to find that most of the reviews posted were incredibly positive. Then I remembered that, stupid boy, no one is going to post an average review unless scoring highly on the newly invented anal scale (well, I invented it, just now, I scored seven!). But there was one and it was so funny as to be a pastiche, surely?
Because in a review entitled "Boring Communist Pop" anon wrote "Oh how boring. Some whining brat in a cardigan preaching about the evils of capitalism. Sure, he's got a nice soft, effeminate voice and some catchy tunes, but are you prepared to hear these same tunes as the next Pol Pot kills us for wearing glasses? This is music for sheep."
Well, for the next fifteen minutes boring communist pop is the greatest form of pop ever. In particular I give you the Housemartins and boring communist pop laced with gospel for:

I'll Be Your Shelter (Just Like A Shelter)

I'm having this song played at my funeral. More on that later.

No comments: